Action Figure Customization - Captain Ray/El Capitan Rayo (DC Super Powers Homage)

Like a lot of materials in my overflowing bits bin, this Superman Returns figure was another garage sale find that took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with it. While I don’t really collect superheroes, I’ve long been fascinated with the oddity that is Captain Ray, a notorious collector’s item from Kenner’s 1980’s DC Comics Super Powers line. Or rather, a Columbian-exclusive line called Defensores de la Tierra that mix and matched pieces from pre-existing Super Powers molds to create original characters. And much like Wonder Bread He-Man and Disco Skeletor, the enigmatic Captain Ray has inspired a great many fan-made customs over the years. Here’s mine…

Pictured below is my starting point, the original figure after a bit of light sanding and a long soak in warm water and dish soap. I kicked around the idea of keeping his cloth cape, but I never liked soft goods on toys and I would ultimately get rid of it.

I dremeled off the Superman shield off his chest and belt, though I later discovered that I somehow missed two tiny emblems on the back of his boots. After sanding down the elbow and knee joints, I went over them with some black brush-on primer, let it dry, and then moved them back and forth to make sure no paint rubbed off. That’s my quick and dirty joint test and an early warning system for any potential problem areas.

I wanted to keep the skin-color mostly the same and I knew that I would be painting the trunks and boots yellow, so I popped off the head and covered the hands, trunks, and boots with masking tape before I primed the figure in Rustoleum flat black primer. If I would have left the trunks and boots uncovered, I would have been spinning my wheels trying to get the yellow paint to cover over black (and it wasn’t exactly a walk in the park to get the yellow to cover over the existing red).
After the black primer was sufficiently dry, I primed the figure again in Bulldog adhesive promoter.


It should come as no surprise that the color scheme here is a very simple one. Here’s the list of paints I used for the basecoat:

  • Hair and suit – Citadel Abbadon Black
  • Trunks and boots - Reaper Candlelight Yellow mixed with Citadel Yriel Yellow (about a 50/50 mix)
  • Belt – Citadel Mephiston Red
  • Touch-ups on skin – Citadel Kislev Flesh

Apparently I didn’t take a picture of the completed basecoat (or I did and I accidentally deleted it off my phone), but here’s one where the basecoat was about three-quarters finished.


After applying the basecoat and cleaning up the lines, it was time to tackle his lightning bolt emblem. I cut a circle out of worbla, fitted it to his chest but pried it off before it could fully adhere. That way, it was perfectly molded to the contours of his chest and I could paint it separately before gluing it onto the figure. For his lightning bolt and cape, I decided to branch out a little and cut them out of a sheet of red EVA craft foam. I’d purchased a 60 pack of EVA foam sheets (9.5x7.5” with 1mm thickness) for $8 on Amazon a while back and almost forgot about it.

I tried making some permanent folds and creases in the cape to make it look like actual cloth, but nothing really stuck. I even coated both sides of the cape in Mod Podge and still no luck. I ultimately just spray painted it with Rustoeum gloss red spray paint and moved on. For the lightning bolt, I brushed over it with some Mephiston Red to better match the color of the belt.

This was my first time working with EVA foam and I can definitely see myself using it as a cheap, in-a-pinch material for armor and cloth pieces on quickie projects like this one where I can’t really justify using a ton of my worbla stock. The thought did cross my mind to make his cape out of worbla and (though it would have produced a much better-looking result with natural-looking folds and creases, the material is pricey and I really want to stretch out my current supply for as long as I can.

After supergluing on his cape and applying a little bit of Vallejo flesh wash in an attempt to alter the skin tone a little (most of it I wiped off with a paper tower), I hit the figure with a matte-finish acrylic clearcoat and called it a day.


And that's a wrap on Columbia’s “Master of Energy”. For a quickie project, I’m happy with how it came out and I’m glad I got the chance to work with the EVA foam I bought back in September. Apologies for the shoddy picture quality in this article. I don’t know why, but my phone just refused to focus every time I tried to take pictures of this project leading to some less-than-stellar shots. And speaking of shots, I’ll end things here on a before and after pic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Do It: Recycling Silicone Mold Rubber

How I Do It: My Molding and Resin Casting Process (2023 Edition)

Creating a Functional Action Figure Buck