Action Figure Customization – Recon X

Whenever I do customizations/kitbashes on bootleg action figures, I’m not thinking about it in terms of creating a museum-quality piece or even something I would deem saleable on a site like Etsy. Rather, I consider it as a kind of doodling, only instead of a pad and pencil, I’m doodling with cheap toy parts, bits of plastic and spare model pieces, and my ever-growing collection of hobby paints.

Though I will say that I'm doodling with a purpose as I always have some kind of a plan or vision in mind (though some visions more clear than others) and with each project in my Fireteam X series, I set out to learn at least something new or try out a different type of paint or material or technique that I didn’t use for any of the previous builds. That way, I at least feel like I’m getting marginally better with every successive project (even if the final product doesn’t always reflect this).

Another thing I love about working with cheapo bootleg action figure is that it feels like I’m recycling. Case in point, let’s all take a second to appreciate the original face on the bootleg toy soldier that would eventually become Recon X. I wasn’t sure how I could improve on what is already perfection, but I was up for the challenge.


Like the previous Fireteam X builds, I would replace the toy soldier’s limbs with spare parts from a bag of mix-and-match Iron Man figures and glue on additional details, but for this figure I decided to try something a slightly different. Instead of taking the figure apart, slotting in the Iron Man arms and adding thermoplastic molding to the joints to keep them snug inside the torso, I would cut the default limb as well as the Iron Man limb in half and glue it onto the stump to give the cybernetic limb a more organic half-flesh, half-machine appearance. I figured that this would be a better approach due to how much smaller and more narrow this figure was compared to the base body I used for Commando X and Ranger X.

I also dry-fitted a spare model bit over one of the eyes as sort a tactical visor (or like a Dragonball Z scouter, I guess). You’ll see in subsequent pictures that I would gradually trim the piece down and dremel it out more so that it looked less chunky before I eventually committed to gluing it down.

Not satisfied with just replacing the arm, I also sawed the leg off at the knee (or near enough) using my hobby saw. Rather than using an Iron Man leg, I found something I thought would look even more visually dynamic: a leg from a broken Star Wars Battle Droid figure (you know, the “Roger, roger” guys from the prequels) that I found buried in my bits bag. I would also reuse the droid’s backpack for this figure after snipping off the antenna (though I think I glued it onto Recon X upside down because I thought it fit the figure better).

At the time I kitbashed this figure, I was still using E6000 so I had to set the figure up to where it would dry without the droid leg falling off the stump. It was a little tricky and in retrospect, I’m glad I decided to take the plunge and invest just a little bit more into acquiring some proper hobby glue and accelerator (see my Ninja Commando Kitbash article).

I added a few more greeblies, taking some leftover parts from my Armored Puppet Ryuen model kit (and yes, if you’ve been keeping up with my previous articles, I still have a lot of those despite using several in almost all of my kitbashing projects) and adding them to the arm and leg to fill in some gaps and change up the figure's silhouette that much more.

Another new thing I wanted to try out with this build was to make him a hood using Army Painter brand Green Stuff modeling putty. I started off by making a two-part mold of a hood accessory that went to a GI Joe Zartan figure using Oyumaru Blue Stuff and stuffed the finished mold with Green Stuff and let it set for about an hour or two, knowing that it wouldn’t fully harden inside of the mold. That way, I still would have the general shape of the hood when I took it out of the mold but still have enough malleability to work with it and fit the Green Stuff to the contours of the figure. I suppose I could have just skipped the step where I made a Blue Stuff mold of an existing action figure accessory and tried to sculpt a hood from scratch but I'm glad I decided against it since I'm still new to sculpting.

I tried to take a piece of plastic with a cloth texture to it (a plastic cloak from a Star Wars figure) and press it up against the hood to make it look like folds and wrinkles in the material, but by then, the Green Stuff had already begun to solidify a bit too much to make the kind of impression I’d hoped for. But I was able to texture the surface somewhat. Still, I think this might be a viable technique going forward with other projects and will hopefully help me preserve some of my more limited greeblies (like the action figure hoods) though I will do a few things differently next time I work with Green Stuff. Namely, I’m going to let it sit out for the recommended 30 minutes (not that it said to do this on the packaging mind you, it’s something I picked up watching youtube videos) so that it isn’t as sticky when I try to shape it. I’m also going to try to add textures to the Green Stuff while it’s still malleable and not when it’s already halfway cured.

When I was satisfied with the kitbashing stage, I primed it in Rustoleum flat gray primer and after allowing it a day or two to dry, I dunked the figure in baking soda to reduce stickiness from the primer reacting with the cheap plastic and dusted it off with compressed air. Again, nothing we haven’t seen in previous builds but still, an important step nonetheless. I will say this about the priming stage with these bootleg action figure projects. Not only is it gratifying to see how priming it in a single color ties all the disparate bits and bobs glued to the figure into one cohesive vision, but it also reveals some nice details that were already molded into the figure and were otherwise hidden by the sweatshop paint job.

Going forward, I do think I’m going to use some acetone/nail polish remover and manually strip the paint from the faces prior to priming. Like with all these bootleg toy soldiers, the paint on the face just keeps flaking off along with the plastic throughout the painting stages (stopping only after I apply a protective clear coat over the final piece). I think that would help a lot in making the finished faces look better.

The basecoat would come next. Since I had just gotten a pot of Citadel Death World Green in the mail and was eager to try it out, I decided that I would make it the primary color in the deco. But here’s my truncated list of paints used here:
  • Uniform and hood - Citadel Death World Green
  • Straps, boots, bandanna, and other small details – Citadel Abbadon Black
  • Backpack – Citadel Dryad Bark
  • Knee joint and shoulder piece (as well as the ammo shells on his chest) - Citadel Runelord Brass
  • Cybernetic arm and leg – Citadel Runefang Steel
  • Visor/Eyepiece – Citadel Mephiston Red
  • Skin - Citadel Kislev Flesh
I did have to stop the basecoating process before I was completely finished since the primer kept rubbing off the cybernetic arm and leg as well as the backpack due to them being made from a softer plastic than the rest of the figure. Like with the soft rubber parts in my Ninja Commando kitbash, I needed to prime the arm, leg, and backpack with Angelus acrylic leather primer and come back to it in a few days. But once the Angelus cured, the cybernetic arm, leg, and droid backpack were able to be painted without any further issues.
Before adding any washes, I wanted to add a few more details to the basecoat. Initially, I wanted to go with a kind of Vietnam-era tiger stripe camo pattern for the uniform and hood but I didn’t get too detailed with it. I mostly just stuck to my overlapping standard camo pattern consisting of lines, lines with another line through it, blobs and dots with considerably fewer blobs and dots and more angular lines. I also wanted to give warpaint a shot, aiming for a kind of “claw mark” pattern reminiscent of Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando (I have a John Matrix NECA figure for reference).

After that layer was done, it was time to add my washes and there were a few new ones that I wanted to try out on this figure. Namely the Vallejo Flesh Wash I would use on the skin and the Citadel Athonian Camoshade for the camouflage. It's hard to tell from the pictures (and while I was applying the wash) but the Camoshade really made the camouflage pop like never before. And since camouflague seems to work its way into almost all of my builds so far, it's a safe bet that I'll definitely be using it again.

Here’s the list of paints and washes I used for this layer:
  • Lighter camo pattern - Citadel Death World Green and possibly Tesseract Glow (can’t quite remember).
  • Darker camo pattern – Citadel Abbadon Black mixed with a drop of Death World Green.
  • Facepaint – Citadel Dryad Bark
  • Skin - Vallejo Flesh Wash
  • Uniform and hood - Athonian Camoshade
I did some dry brushing and touch-ups on the non-camouflage areas (mostly dry brushing over the limbs , backpack, and the details on the straps with Runefang Steel and Runelord Brass), trying to tidy up the face and gloves/boots as best I could. Unsatisfied with how the E6000 glue seemed to clump up and give the area where the arm and leg meet their respective stumps a melty look, I figured I would try to pass it off as rust and used some Vallejo Dark Rust wash over the areas to hopefully blend them in a little bit more.

Afterwards, I sprayed the figure with a protective clear coat (still using the glossy Krylon Crystal Clear) and let it dry.


And now, with the third member of Fireteam X in the bag, I posed him side-by-side with my previous two projects in the series.

This was another fun project where I got to try out several new techniques and materials, making each new entry in this series a valuable learning experience. There is so much to learn with action figure customization and miniature painting and if you’re just starting out like I am, there’s a lot that can be said for not trying to figure out everything at once. Instead, I recommend trying just one or two new things with each successive project so that the knowledge you pick up in the process will keep compounding over time as you keep building on top of what you already know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Do It: Recycling Silicone Mold Rubber

How I Do It: My Molding and Resin Casting Process (2023 Edition)

Creating a Functional Action Figure Buck